In Episode 6 of our Winter Culinary Series “Soup-Tastic,” Executive Chef Craig Mason shows us a classic recipe for chili. Perfect for this March snow!
Perfect Chili Recipe
- 1 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound diced beef ribeye
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeded diced
- 1 serrano pepper seeded, diced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 12 -ounce bottle amber beer
- 1 can whole plum tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sliced scallions and/or sour cream, for topping
Heat a large heavy bottom pot and add the beef and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 8 minutes.
Add the onion and peppers and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and 1 teaspoon salt and cook 2 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, white pepper, black pepper, oregano and tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the tomato paste is brick red, about 6 minutes (add a splash of water if the mixture begins to stick). Add the beer and simmer until almost completely reduced, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the, tomatoes, beef broth and beans and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chili thickens slightly, about 1 hour, 30 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper. Add some beef broth if the chili is too thick. Ladle into bowls and top with the, cheese, scallions and/or sour cream.