Cream of mushroom soup + sherry= a match made in heaven! Try this delicious recipe from Executive Chef Mason– perfect for Thanksgiving or for warming up on a chilly autumn evening!
Mushroom Soup with Sherry Recipe
- 5 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 5 ounces fresh portobello mushrooms
- 5 ounces fresh cremini (or porcini) mushrooms
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter,
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced thyme leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sherry
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
Clean the mushrooms by wiping them with a dry paper towel. Do not wash them! Separate the stems, trim off any bad parts, and coarsely chop the stems. Slice the mushroom caps 1/4-inch thick and. Set aside.
Heat 3 tablespoons of butter in a large pot. Add the chopped mushroom stems, the onion, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and cook over high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add flour to make a roux.
Deglaze pan with sherry, add vegetable stock, thyme and half and half. Simmer for 20 minutes on low heat. Puree soup using an immersion blender until smooth. Add cream and bring to a final boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.